our move to sweden
In November 2016 God started working in both Roelandi and my hearts about moving from South Africa. We were baffled, we’re both creatures of habit and enjoy our comfort zones. We had an amazing church we’re part of, we were cell leaders, we have amazing friends and our entire family is spread over the country. To say we were scared and ‘uncomfortable’ with the idea of moving away from all of this was a complete understatement, we were being pulled out of everything we find ‘normal’. Luckily for us we know that we heard God saying this to us, and it wasn’t just our own decision or thoughts playing in our minds this fact gave us peace in our hearts.
At this point we still didn’t know where we were going, we just knew we are moving. We started praying about it more and more and we started researching countries. The first thing we did was to go to friends (our spiritual leaders and disciplers), we asked them to pray with us and to help guide us.
Eventually Roelandi came across a teaching opportunity in Sweden. After a vigorous and stretched out process of interviews and countless Skype meetings Roelandi eventually got the job, this was where things got SUPER real. Now we need to move! Up until this point we only told family and our closest friends what was going on, after Roelandi got the position at the school and we sent in our paperwork for our residence permits we started telling everybody else and started getting our affairs in order.
We saw so much of God’s favour with our entire process, things like;
- Almost immediately finding someone to take over our old apartment lease.
- Getting approval to live in the EU within two weeks.
- The Embassy of Sweden in Pretoria giving us a special appointment very quickly.
- Somebody covering all our expenses traveling to and from Pretoria to visit the Embassy.
- God taking care of us financially while we sorted out our final days in South Africa.
- Roelandi’s new boss arranging us an apartment in Sweden so we have somewhere to call home.
- Getting our one-way plane tickets to Sweden at an amazing price.
- Living costs for our first month in Sweden.
- We got almost all our new furniture either on a store promotion or some random discount (most of it we didn’t even know was on a special until we got to the cashier to pay, God is amazing!).
- And just generally keeping us strong to not crumble into a heap of hot mess crying and being sad like 24/7.
- The list honestly goes on and on, but some things are a bit personal.
These are some of the scriptures we received that we stood on while in the process, and we’re still standing on.
And the Lord God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and there he put the man whom he had formed.
As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field;
And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.
Bless the Lord, all his works, in all places of his dominion. Bless the Lord, O my soul!
We are so incredibly humbled by this experience thus far, we’ve been living in Sweden for about a month now and we are slowly adjusting to life over the water.
The past four weeks my focus was getting our new apartment furnished and making it liveable, now that most of it is in place I can start focussing on promoting my photography business over here and start building my business up again!
We are honestly so excited to see where this journey takes us and how it will change us for the good. Roelandi and I already can see/feel a different in our marriage. We’re relying more on each other, we’ve grown even more close and we’re now beginning to understand what it means to truly be there for one another!
To all our family and friends, thank you for your prayers! We feel your love! We miss you so much and we cannot wait for you to come and visit :)